- Chinese president Xi Jinping promotes central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) at the 2023 Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit.
- The People’s Bank of China reported that there were 13.61 billion digital yuan CBDCs in circulation.
- Chinese consumers will soon have access to a SIM card linked to the digital yuan CBDC.
- The cost of obtaining a crypto exchange license in Hong Kong has surged to HK$100 million.
- Several crypto exchanges have applied for licensing in Hong Kong, including Huobi, OKX, BitgetX, Hashkey Pro, and Gate.io.
- The Multichain cross-chain bridge protocol in China has been hacked, resulting in the loss of over $126 million in funds.
- Singapore’s Monetary Authority will require Digital Payment Token (DPT) providers to place clients’ assets in a statutory trust and prohibit crypto lending and staking services for retail investors.
- Thai crypto exchange Bitkub sells 9.22% of its equity for $17.1 million.
- Japanese video game giant Sega partners with Line Next to develop a classic game on its Web3 gaming platform.
Article by Zhiyuan Sun